Saturday, May 5, 2012

Music

If you know me and my family than you know that my love of music comes from my Dad.  He is a fanatic, a collector, a hobbyist.  For as long as I can remember music has been a part of my life.  And it is because of him that it is still a part of who I am today.  For that, I am so grateful.
Me and Dad 1980
Please understand that when I say that music has played a role in my life I do not mean that any of us (me, my dad, sister, or mom) had any musical notable talent.  Both my sister and I were in the school band, but I faked it most of the time.  I just joined to fit in, like 
teenagers sometimes do.  My Dad can play the air guitar like nobody’s business.  And my mom cheered us on no matter how horrific we sounded or silly we looked.  We Followell’s enjoy the other side there is to music – listening, dancing, and singing along like we are the rockstar.

My earliest memories include music.  I can recall my Dad in my first childhood home wearing headphones, listening to his latest album purchase.  It was the early 1980’s so more than likely it was something like The Rolling Stones Tattoo You or Joan Jett and the Blackhearts Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth.  At that time I was rockin’ my toddler booty to Cyndi Lauper’s She’s So Unusual and Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
1982
It is at our home in the country that I can most associate to music.  My dad finally had a room  in the basement (that we called the record room) where music blared on a daily basis.  Day or night anything from Black Sabbath's Iron Man to Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's Learning to Fly could be heard throughout the house via the heating vents.  Some nights the beating of the bass from below my room would put me to sleep quicker than any lullaby.

My dad is the reason I jump from my seat most mornings from having the radio cranked up the day before.  He is the reason I spend too much money on iTunes.  He is the reason I am sitting here listening to Robyn's Body Talk as I write this.  Although, I am sure he wouldn't be too proud of that one, it is my current obsession.
My 20th birthday
Music makes me forget that I cannot dance to save my life, but love to when I am alone.  Music makes me cry, it has healed my broken heart, it is my getaway from my sometimes stressful life.  I can't live without it.  Thanks Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment