Monday, May 16, 2011

I Am a Movie Freak: The 1990's

The 1990's - Part 2 of 4

The 1990’s not only brought about my pre-teen/teenage years, but also many, many memorable movies. Again, most of these films were included in Fab 5 sleepovers, mildly irresponsible weekends with high school friends (Jordan) and what little free time I had as a college freshman. Music icons Whitney, Madonna, Cher, and Janet ruled this decade. Tom and Meg, Leo, and Drew also starred in more than a few of the movies that I (still) cannot get enough of. Here is my list…


Edward Scissorhands (1990) – Johnny Depp…so handsome…even as an incomplete, oddly pale man with scissor hands.

Home Alone (1990) – The Home Alone house is for sale…$2.4 million. It is more than 4,000 square feet with 4 bedrooms. I’ll take it!


Mermaids (1990) – Cher, Wynona Ryder, and Christina Ricci make the (almost) perfect little family. I LOVE this movie.


Boyz in the Hood (1991) – White pre-teens from a small Southern Illinois town obsessed over this movie – me included.Doc Hollywood (1991) – What a great movie…Michael J Fox is my fav!


Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) – I love to eat fried green tomatoes while watching this movie.

The Man in the Moon (1991) – First love, first kiss, first heartbreak…and a first movie for Reese Witherspoon.


My Girl (1991) – I adore this movie. A few weeks ago I caught this movie on TV. I laughed and cried, and laughed and cried. It is soooo good.


A League of Their Own (1992) – “Are you crying? There’s no crying! There’s no crying in baseball!”


The Bodyguard (1992) – I know that Dolly Parton sang it first, but Whitney Houston’s version of “I Will Always Love You” is one of my most loved songs. It is incredible as is this movie.

Dazed and Confused (1993) – Did you know the f-word is used 59 times in this movie? “All right, all right, all right.”


Poetic Justice (1993) – This movie staring Janet Jackson and Tupac was a favorite of mine and my sister’s. We watched it over and over.


Sleepless in Seattle (1993) – So romantic…I must reinstate that I L-O-V-E Tom Hanks.

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) - Beautiful movie…beautiful actors…oops…I mean beautiful acting.


Forrest Gump (1994) – “Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far…far far away from here.” You thought I was going to use this quote…”My momma always said, “Life was like a box a chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”…didn’t you?!

Billy Madison (1995) – Classic. Need I say anything?


Boys on the Side (1995) – Very funny, very moving…I love it.


Clueless (1995) – As sophomores in high school, Jordan and I must have watched this movie every weekend. “God…shit…that’s so embarrassing.”

Empire Records (1995) – “We mustn't dwell... no, not today. We CAN'T. Not on Rex Manning day.”


Se7en (1995) – Extra creepy and at times rather disgusting, but Brad Pitt is so handsome, I don’t even mind.


Tommy Boy (1995) – Chris Farley…need I say more?


Waiting to Exhale (1995) – Absolutely, without a doubt one of the best soundtracks ever. The movie is fantastic too. I love Whitney Houston.


Black Sheep (1996) – I always considered myself the black sheep of my family.


The Craft (1996) – Teen witchcraft at its finest.


Fargo (1996) – Classic.


Happy Gilmore (1996) – As strange as it may seem, I watched some of this movie with my Grandma and her sister one evening. They loved it. I love it too.


Romeo + Juliet (1996) – I was obsessed with this movie and with Leonardo DiCaprio. I wanted to be Claire Daines. The soundtrack was amazing and produced two songs that were so lovely I played them over and over…and over…and over…Kissing You by Des’ree and Love Fool by The Cardigans.

Scream (1996) – Matt has never seen any of these movies. I’m gonna have to catch him up because (as cheesy as it sounds) Scream 4 is on my “Want to See” movie list.


Event Horizon (1997) – Sci-fi thriller…just what a (somewhat) nerdy girl likes.


The Fifth Element (1997) – Again…the nerdy Sci-fi thriller side of me.


I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) – Another memorable 90’s teen thriller. Random fact: Jennifer Love Hewitt and I share the same birthday (February 21), but she is 1 year older than me.


My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997) – Dermot Mulroney…yum. It has a fantastic soundtrack too.

Titanic (1997) – I went to see this movie with my boyfriend at the time. I cried all the way home afterwards. He made fun of me just like a teenage boy should!


Ever After (1998) – A Cinderella-like movie that I love, love, love. Drew Barrymore is fabulous.

Home Fries (1998) – Another Drew Barrymore movie that is rather superb. Did I mention that she is fabulous?


Hope Floats (1998) – On my top 10 list of favorite movies…and soundtracks. Harry Connick Jr is so charming.


Pleasantville (1998) – Such an underrated movie. I could watch this one over and over and never get tired of it.


The Truman Show (1998) – One of Jim Carey’s greatest…in my opinion at least.


You’ve Got Mail (1998) – Another Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan favorite. This movie made me want to own a bookstore. F-O-X.


10 Things I Hate About You (1999) – I miss Heath Ledger.


American Pie (1999) – One time…at band camp…


The Blair Witch Project (1999) – I saw this movie with my parents. And sadly, I slept on the floor of their bedroom that night.


The Cider House Rules (1999) – Tobey Maguire is terrific and Charlize Theron is beautiful.


Cruel Intentions (1999) - A not so typical teen flick. Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Philippe, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Selma Blair are my heroes.

Fight Club (1999) – Brad Pitt…ahh…sigh. He looks magnificent in this film. Don’t you agree?


Girl, Interrupted (1999) – Love Wynona Ryder and Brittany Murphy…hate Angelina Jolie.


The Green Mile (1999) – Even at more than 3 hours long, this movie had my full attention. It is amazing.


The Sixth Sense (1999) – This was one of M. Night Shyamalan’s first movies and my favorite of them all.


Varsity Blues (1999) – This movie came out after I graduated high school, but I watched it over and over again reminiscing of our football team my senior year. We were awesome and so is this film.


The Virgin Suicides (1999) – I read the book before I watched the movie…loved them both.


Next: The 2000’s; an era where Donnie Darko ate Chocolat while waiting on his One Hour Photo, The Matchstick Men traveled through the Garden State to Brokeback Mountain, and Marie Antoinette was Knocked Up by the Dark Knight. None of which any of them remembered because of The Hangover they suffered.


(Click here to read part 1)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know anybody else KNEW about Empire Records. Will you please watch it with me sometime I'm home?? Casey NEVER will. That is if we can find a VHS, because thats the only way I have it. Also, I believe you forgot Now and Then...but maybe that wasn't a favorite of yours. I watched that movie OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I'm pretty sure my VHS copy is warn out, much like my Dirty Dancing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Now and Then too. I have the VHS too. I knew I would forget some good ones...can't remember them all! And yes...I will definitely watch Empire Records with you!

    ReplyDelete