Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Baseball

Not since the Michael Jordan era of Chicago Bulls basketball have I been so captivated by the world of professional sports. I remember watching the NBA finals 20 years ago with my family; biting my nails (my nervous habit) in the anticipation that my favorite basketball team just might win it all. And they did. Six times to be exact. Eventually, Michael Jordan retired, Scotty Pippen was traded and my love for basketball faded.


This time it is baseball and the St. Louis Cardinals. Sure, the Cardinals have always been my most loved baseball team. But now, out of the blue, I am obsessed. It is because for the first time in years I spent two wonderful weekends in St Louis watching the Cards play? It is because after I witnessed (in person) two regretful losses, the Cardinal’s astonishingly captured the NL wild card, beat the Phillies to become the NLDS champs and then win the National League Champion Series? Any way you see it, I can’t get enough.


I have faithfully watched the 107th World Series and Card’s win (Game 1) and win big (Game 3) against the Texas Rangers, but then face two disappointing losses. Forget about date night, last Saturday night I had a date with the St. Louis Cardinal’s. I have willingly missed my favorite fall TV shows in hopes that I would see (and did) Lance Berkman and Matt Holliday score and Albert Pujols hit a homerun (or 2 or 3). I have forgotten about housework just to watch Yadier Molina catch with the perfection of a prima ballerina. Chris Carpenter, Jamie Garcia, and Jason Motte have my full attention from beginning to end. Of course I haven’t mentioned the entire roster, but each of them has played their part in bringing out a side of me that I forgot existed. And I (even if Matt doesn’t) appreciate that more than anything right now.


So, tonight (if the game is not rained out) I will nervously and nauseously settle down in my living room and cheer on my St. Louis Cardinal’s to a much needed win; not only for them, but me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment